Phil Unicomb is our Chief Flying Instructor, flying from Tuesday to Saturday.
Phil has been heavily involved with Royal Newcastle Aero Club (RNAC) since 1978. He was RNAC Club Captain from 1984 – 1986 inclusive and served two separate terms on the RNAC Board of Directors from 1984 to 1987 and again from 1998 to 2003.
He was the Corporate Pilot for Weldon International from 1988 -1993 operating a DHC-2 Beaver Amphibian (600 hours) and a PA31-350 Piper Chieftain – single pilot IFR (1052 hours) as well as vintage aircraft in the fleet including DH82 and SA4B Stampe.
Phil has been instructing since 1993, beginning as a volunteer at RNAC. From 1994 to 1995 he worked as an Instructor and Charter Pilot for Professional Pilot Training at Cessnock, and then rejoined RNAC in 1995 before starting Action Aerobatics in 2000.
Phil commenced operating Action Aerobatics Pty Ltd in 2000 concentrating on advanced flight training in Pitts Specials, emergency manoeuvre training, aerobatics from basic level to national championship level, as well as formation flying training and tail wheel undercarriage training. During this period he produced approx 30 State and National Champion pilots in various Aerobatic Categories including unlimited level. He was President of the Australian Aerobatic Club 2006/2007 and Captain of Flying for the Australian Aerobatic Club for 4 terms.
Phil commenced Air Show Flying in 1984 with his close friend Squadron Leader Dave Freedman focusing on ‘Flying Circus’ style displays as well as formal aerobatic displays, predominately in Tiger Moths, Stampes, Pitts Specials and Warbirds. Phil formed SKYACES Formation Aerobatic Team with Dave in 1992 (Pitts Special) touring Eastern Australia and South East Asia (Notably the Thai International Air Show in 1993).
Air Show work continues to the present time eg ANSAN Air Show South Korea in 2010 as well as numerous others in NSW and QLD.
- Independent Pilot Examiner – Testing Approvals include:
- Recreational Pilot Licence
- Private Pilot Licence
- Commercial Pilot Licence
- Night VFR
- Training Endorsements:
- Design Features
- Flight Activities including Aerobatics Unlimited (to Ground Level)
- Instructor Ratings:
- Initial Issue – Grade 3, 2 and 1 including upgrades
- Instructor Rating Proficiency Checks (Renewals) – Grade 3, 2 and 1
- Instructor Training Approval
- PPL – 1978
- CPL – May 1990
- Chief Pilot
- Chief Flying Instructor
- Single Engine Aeroplanes below 5700kg, Retractable Undercarriage, Tail Wheel Undercarriage, Constant Speed Prop, Floating Hull, Float Landing Gear, Pressurisation System, L-39 Albatros jet, T28 Trojan, Grumman TBM-3 Avenger.
- Multi Engine – PN68, C401/411, PA31, PA30, BE76
- Low Level Aerobatics Approval – Unlimited (ie to ground level)
- Low Level Aerobatics Testing Officer
- ME CIR February 1991 (not current)
- Night VFR
- Single Engine Grade 1 Instructor Rating
- Phil has also flown, and is familiar with the latest high performance Aerobatic Aircraft including Sukhoi, Extra, YAK and Zlin.
- He is experienced in many vintage and warbird aircraft types
- RAA Senior Flying Instructor
- Total hours: 15,500 / Instructional Hours: 9,000
1983 Royal Newcastle Aero Club – Aerobatic Champion
1984 Australian Light Aircraft Championships – Formation Champion
1984 Royal Newcastle Aero Club – Aerobatic Champion
1985 Royal Newcastle Aero Club – Aerobatic Champion
1985 Royal Newcastle Aero Club – Senior Club Champion
1986 Australian Light Aircraft Championships – Formation Champion
1986 Royal Newcastle Aero Club – Aerobatic Champion
1986 Royal Newcastle Aero Club – Senior Club Champion
1987 Royal Newcastle Aero Club –Aerobatic Champion
1988 Australian Bicentennial Tiger Moth Aerobatic Champion
1992 Australian Sportsman Aerobatic Champion
1992 Australian Aerobatic Club – Highest percentage Scorer
1992 World Tiger Moth Aerobatic Champion UK
1993 Australian Intermediate Aerobatic Champion
1994 1st Place Great Australian Tiger Moth Air Race
1998 1st Place Great Australian tiger Moth Air Race
Plus several other titles.