The story of the Aero Club began on an August day in 1928 when two former World War 1 fliers decided to form such a club in Newcastle. Captain HS Preston and Captain LH Irwin wanted to bring the city into line with others where facilities were already being developed for the youthful aviation industry.
The then President of the Aero Club of New South Wales, Captain GF Hughes was invited to address a public meeting in the Newcastle City Council Chambers. On October 11th 1928 accompanied by others flew from Mascot to deliver an outline of the work that was being performed by the Aero Clubs already established in Australia. The meeting unanimously decided to ‘take the necessary steps to form a branch of the Aero Club movement in Newcastle.